One of our neighborhood congregations just announced its purchase of the five-story, red brick building downtown that had become an icon of the West End. The Dallas Morning News has a story behind the paywall.
Hillcrest Church, located near Preston and Belt Line and now known as Antioch Church, is moving to the historic site at Pacific and Austin near the West End DART rail station.
In a video on the church’s website, pastor Mark Brand celebrates the news, saying “God has given us a foothold in the heart of our city.” He also notes that this may be the first time in the history of the city that any suburban congregation has made such a move.
The building was erected in 1904 and formerly housed the Awalt Furniture.