It happened two years ago, but we may be a little weary of drinking the tea at one of our neighborhood Potbelly sandwich shops.
In April 2010, five customers at the Potbelly sandwich shop at Central and Campbell were hospitalized after experiencing symptoms of nausea and fainting. A new report from the Centers for Disease Control confirmed this week that the tea urns were contaminated with sodium azide, WFAA reports.
The tasteless, odorless chemical is used to manufacture airbags and explosives. The victims became ill after drinking iced tea – all withing five hours of each other. Three of the victims are now filing lawsuits against the deli chain.
It’s unknown how the chemical got into the tea. Potbelly has since installed tamper-resistant covers to their tea urns.